Activities and entertainment
This page is under construction …
Katete is a quiet town so student volunteers won’t be out partying every night. On the flip side, you experience life in a small rural town as many people in Zambia live, and get to spend time working with Zambians that you probably won’t find in a city. And there are activities and places to visit nearby and in the surrounding area!
- Cultural safari to Kachipu village US$30 – walk round a Zambian village with a guide, have a vegetarian feast, and watch a traditional girls’ initiation dancing ceremony, Chinamwali.
Depending on availability Gule wamkulu, the Nyau ghost dance is sometimes also performed in nearby villages , and recognized by UN Heritage. When dancing, the men are believed to be spirits with magical powers and no longer mortals. An intriguing and invigorating insight into local culture and tradition.
- Bike ride with Tiko bikes
- Visit St Francis Hospital or Hike up Mphangwe mountain
- Walk to Chimbalu
- Katete nightclub – maybe not for everyone or every week but worth a visit for the experience!
- Film afternoon on Saturday and Sunday
- Table tennis
- Trip to Msoro cathedral – worst road ever, proper adventure for overnight – public transport leaves in the evening
- South Luangwa National Park (6 hours) – Taxi direct US$160, or public transport is much cheaper but less comfortable. Around US$500 for two days at Flatdogs Camp sleeping in a safari tent surrounded by elephants and hippos. This is one of the cheaper lodges and Tiko volunteers get a discount. Well worth it!
|Lodge||Description||Price Per Person|
|Humboldt House||4 Bedrooms with Bathroom, Hot Shower and Double Bed (groups up to 8 people) All 5 Bedrooms for groups up to 9 people||$15 or K150 $70|
|Rondavel – Chief’s House||Traditional African rondavel (round house) with Double and two Twin Beds, Toilet and Hot Shower||$20|
|Moni House||Family size Lodge with Double and Bunk Beds Shared Bathroom||$20|
|Agogo House||2 Bedrooms with Toilet Bathroom and Bucket Bath 1 Bedroom with shared Bathroom||$12 or K120 $10 or K100|
|Camping||Pitch site with ablution block will that mean toilet and shower (Available from March 2021)||$5|
|Dormitory Bed||Single Bed in Shared Acommodation How many people per room||$6 or K50|
To book accommodation or for any queries please contact Tiko Lodge on telephone: +26(0)21 6252122 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org